Spring Gardening

9:52 AM Edit This 3 Comments »
Here are some photos from around my yard. I think far too many are under the illusion that I am a master gardener. I am not, and after seeing photos of my yard, I am really depressed and realize how much more I want to do.
flower pics-9
However, the thing to keep in mind when looking at these photos is how things originally looked when I moved in in July 2008. When I moved in this tree in my front yard was here, but it was a stick. The landlords thought it was dead. Here is a photo my neighbor had taken of her son. You can see some of my front yard in the background.
flower pics-14
My front yard was pretty much all brown and yellow except for the greenery of the massive amounts of dandelions and clover.
flower pics
The only plants that were here were the pansies by the step, a rosebush, and the two large bushes next to the door. The entire rest of the flower bed was created by me.
bf lizard
I don't like the hedges or roses, but out of respect for them being here before me, I have not yet asked them to leave. A few of my favorites from my shady front yard include lupin and hostas.
flower pics-2
There are also ferns, lilies, and other plants in the front, but they were not posing well so their photos did not make it up.
flower pics-4
My favorite plant in the front yard is the lemon balm though, cuz mmmmmmm, it smells SO yummy.
flower pics-3
The mint is on the side of the house. There is also lavender, but when I was photographing, it was in a territorial battle with many shasta daisies and I could not catch the image. I fear the lavender is losing and may have to relocate.
flower pics-5
This is the garden box. Yes, there are still a few weeds in it. I am a single mom, pregnant, going to school, and working. There are a few lingering weeds in my life, deal with it.
flower pics-6
Close up shot of the peas, which already have pods. WooHoo!! I planted TONS of peas. They are all coming up at different times so that hopefully we won't have to eat 3,000,000 in one sitting and can spread our pea consumption out over time. Riok and I both lurve fresh peas.
flower pics-7
Some thyme is coming up and a lupin is beginning to grow from a seed that was stolen from the plants in the front yard.
flower pics-8
I have a few types of lettuce already starting to say hi. I also spread many different lettuce seeds at different times to keep a constant flow going over the season, as lettuce is my main food group.
Things that are in the garden box, but have not made an appearance yet include, corn, beans, zucchini, pumpkin, artichoke, and many others.
flower pics-12
My back fence is currently lined with dozens of coral bells. There were more tulips and daffodils previously and as the weather turns warmer, I will see more wildflowers, lilies, mums, and black-eyed susans.
flower pics-10
Do you ever wonder what to do if you have so many flower beds, gardens, and an overload of yardwork, but you still have space left to plant? You cannot possibly bring yourself to continue to water, weed, and care for other flower beds that you have left to fill with plants. Besides, you are due with your third child in early August and need to draw a line as far as the gardening is concerned.

This is where sunflower forests come in. I will post photos as these mammoth sunflowers grow and my dear readers will be envious of the fun my children will have with these giants and laugh out loud at how the neighbors must be feeling about the crazy sunflower lady who may possibly take down the fence.
(this isn't even all of them)
Ba ha ha.
flower pics-11

3 comments:

BK said...

I love it! The heucheras look amazing. I love them in bouquets...they make everything exist in a coral haze. Those sunflowers are going to make you smile come august :)

Megan said...

It's looking really lovely. I adore lemon balm!

corycoakley said...

the garden is lovely---and i *am* a master gardener!

enjoy your summer and your growing things before the baby comes.