Where I'm From

2:16 PM Posted In Edit This 3 Comments »
Scan1

My Sister & My Daughter (2001)


I am from crocheted blankets and chicken coops turned into forts; from Tang and leftovers.

I am from wood stoves, green appliances, carpeted kitchens, and card games at the dining room table.

I am from green, green grass and walls of lilacs that touch the sky, from clear water creeks running alongside the mountains where I would camp with the family for a week at a time.

I am from Annie Annie Over and far too much sarcasm, from Ila Mae and Julian and Chris.

I am from many camping trips and just as many drinking games.

From "getting sold to gypsies" and "Holy Harkin' FarCry".

I am from do unto others as you would have done unto you.

I'm from too small of towns with Irish and German running through my blood, from casseroles and fresh caught trout.

From the rattlesnake wrapped around the boat motor, the biggest elk that ya ever did see, and one up a bush, two up a log.

I am from photo albums stashed in grandma's coffee table filled with vacations all over Eastern Oregon. I am from waiting for Papa to cast one more time while sharing a sunset with Grandma.


Inspired by, but not near as wonderful as: Mama Nirvana

3 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Karinda, I got teary! It is so special to get to read someone else's -- and I LOVE it!

chanceofbooks said...

Oh my gosh this made me cry!

Heart Salve said...

i've been meaning to do this - it is so awesome!